Areas of research: Corporate Social Responsibility, Global Justice, Normative Liberal Theory, Religion and Liberalism
Valentina Gentile is a researcher at Luiss University. From 2016 to 2019 she was Guest Professor at the University of Antwerp (Belgium). During the same period, she was Adjunct Professor at Luiss. Previously, she was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at Luiss, UCSIA Visiting Researcher at Antwerp University (Belgium), Honorary Research Associate at the School of Government of University College of London (UK) and Marie Curie Fellow at the University of Utrecht (Netherlands). She is Deputy Director of the Center for Ethics and Global Politics (CEGP), and from 2016 to 2018 she was Vice Coordinator of the Luiss PhD program in Politics: Theory, Science and History at Luiss Guido Carli. She has taught at the Universities of Rome, Naples, Bari, Milan and Antwerp. In March 2017, she obtained the national qualification to become an associate professor in Political Philosophy.
Her main research interests are: normative political theory, liberal theory and the work of John Rawls in particular. Her research focuses on the relationship between religion and politics, the normative ideal of stability, pluralism and the principles of reciprocity, tolerance, equality and social justice.
Main publications (last 10 years)
- Gentile, V.; Bialasiewicz, L. edited by (2019). Spaces of Tolerance: Changing Geographies and Philosophies of Religion in Today’s Europe. Routledge, p. 1-256. ISBN: 9780367224073.
- Gentile, Valentina (2018). Rawls’s Inclusivism and the Case of “Religious Militants for Peace”: A Reply to Weithman’s Restrictive Inclusivism. FILOSOFIA E QUESTIONI PUBBLICHE, p. 13-33. ISSN 2240-7987.
- Gentile, V. (2018). Modus vivendi liberalism, practice-dependence and political legitimacy. BIBLIOTECA DELLA LIBERTÀ, p. 1-21. ISSN 2035-5866. https://doi.org/10.23827/BDL_2018_2_2.
- Gentile, Valentina (2018). From a Culture of Civility to Deliberative Reconciliation in Deeply Divided Societies. JOURNAL OF SOCIAL PHILOSOPHY, p. 229-251. ISSN 1467-9833. https://doi.org/10.1111/josp.12237.
- Gentile, Valentina (2018). Intellectuals’ Engagement in Italy: Sebastiano Maffettone and the Public Intellectual. NOTIZIE DI POLITEIA, p. 55-63. ISSN 1128-2401.
- Gentile, Valentina (2017). Democratic justice: the priority of politics and the ideal of citizenship. CRITICAL REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL AND POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY, p. 211-221. ISSN 1369-8230. https://doi.org/10.1080/13698230.2016.1183757.
- Gentile, Valentina (2017). Clean Trade, Anti-Paternalism and Resources’ Entitlement. FILOSOFIA E QUESTIONI PUBBLICHE, p. 79-94. ISSN 2240-7987.
- Gentile, Valentina (2017). De Politiek van ‘Interreligieuze dialoog’ Religieuze rechtvaardigingen en ‘rechtvaardige’ verzoening. STREVEN, p. 505-516. ISSN 0039-2324.
- Tom, Bailey; Gentile, Valentina edited by (2015). Rawls and Religion. Columbia University Press, p. 1-305. ISBN: 9780231167994.
- Gentile, V (2014). Reconsidering Contested Secessions: Unfeasability and Indeterminacy. FILOSOFIA E QUESTIONI PUBBLICHE, p. 35-49. ISSN 1591-0660.
- Gentile, Valentina (2014). Reconsidering contested secessions: unfeasibility and indeterminacy. FILOSOFIA E QUESTIONI PUBBLICHE, p. 35-49. ISSN 2240-7987.
- Di Paola, M; Gentile, V (2013). Globalizing Justice: a Multidimensional Approach. 1. Economics. GLOBAL POLICY, p. 196-197. ISSN 1758-5880. https://doi.org/10.1111/1758-5899.12035.
- Gentile, V (2013). Global Justice as Recognition: Dealing with Diversity in a Pluralised World. GLOBAL POLICY, p. 399-400. ISSN 1758-5880. https://doi.org/10.1111/1758-5899.12090.
- DI PAOLA, Marcello; Gentile, Valentina (2013). Globalising justice: A multidimensional approach 1. economics: Indicators and policy implications. GLOBAL POLICY, p. 288-289. ISSN 1758-5880. https://doi.org/10.1111/1758-5899.12073.
- Gentile, Valentina (2013). From identity-conflict to civil society: restoring human dignity and pluralism in deeply divided societies. LUISS University Press, p. 1-147. ISBN: 978-88-6105-158-4.
- Gentile, Valentina (2013). 'Epistemic Injustice' and the 'Right Not to Be Poor': Bringing Recognition into the Debate on Global Justice. GLOBAL POLICY, p. 425-427. ISSN 1758-5880. https://doi.org/10.1111/1758-5899.12089.
- Gentile, V; Bailey, T edited by (2012). Religion and the Limits of Liberalism. Springer, Philosophia, p. 175-283.
- Gentile, V (2012). Sostenibilità d'Impresa. RIVISTA BANCARIA. MINERVA BANCARIA, p. 118-124. ISSN 1594-7556.
- Gentile, V; Bailey, T (2012). Religion and the Limits of Liberalism, Editors’ Preface. PHILOSOPHIA, p. 175-178. ISSN 1574-9274. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11406-011-9350-5.
- Gentile, Valentina (2011). Business Ethics. BANKPEDIA REVIEW, p. 17-26. ISSN 2239-8023. https://doi.org/10.14612/GENTILE_1_2011.
- Gentile, V (2010). Responsabilità Sociale d'Impresa. RIVISTA BANCARIA. MINERVA BANCARIA, p. 110-117. ISSN 1594-7556.
- Gentile, V (2009). Etica degli affari, in Assonebb: associazione nazionale enciclopedia della banca e della borsa edited by Bankpedia: il dizionario enciclopedico on-line di banca, borsa e finanza. Assonebb: associazione nazionale enciclopedia della banca e della borsa.